Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jonathan Edwards on Happiness

"The first instance that I remember of that sort of inward sweet delight in God and divine things that I have lived much since, was on reading those words, 1 Tim. 1.17. Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honor and glory for ever and ever, Amen. As I read the words, there came into my soul, and was as it were diffused through it, as sense of the glory of the Divine Being; a new sense, quite different from anything I ever expereinced before. Never any words of scripture seemed to me as these words did. I thought with myself, how excellent a Being that was, and how happy I should be, if I might enjoy that God, and be rapt up to him in heaven, and be as it were swallowed up in him for ever!"

No comments: